40 Ideas to Balance Your Elements [Part 3 of 3]
I’m writing to you today from beautiful Vancouver Island. It’s the perfect place to finish this 3 part email series on balancing emotional, mental, physical and spiritual elements as there’s nothing like vacation time, a retreat from the everyday and lots of time outdoors to bring wholeness to ALL your inner elements!
So far, I’ve shared about the elements as metaphors to understand the parts of yourself and know which parts of yourself you lead with and which need balance. To finish off today, I have 40 ideas for you to choose from to rebalance yourself for optimal wellness.
If you discovered that your heart, mind, body or spirit could use some loving attention, try any of the ideas below.
To allow your emotions to flow freely, if they are overflowing or dried up, balancing Water activities include . . .
- Listen to your favourite music, play music or attend a concert.
- Notice how your sensory experiences affect your emotions.
- Move your body in expressive, sensual or sensitive ways or dance.
- Learn the “secret” language of your emotions and apply their wisdom.
- Create arts or crafts to process and better understand your emotions.
- Write, read poetry or journal to express your emotional experiences.
- Try flowing spiritual movements like tai chi, yoga or qigong.
- Spend time outdoors near water to enjoy the flow or take a salt bath.
- Enjoy positive social interactions at parties, sports events or on dates.
- Use your emotions to feel into the other 3 elements.
For a breath of metal or intellectual fresh air, if your thoughts are blustering or starkly still . . .
- Play games requiring mind focus, like Scrabble, sudoku or crosswords.
- Read about and research things that interest you.
- Make plans and bring logic to your activities and processes.
- Do an in-depth study on artistic expression, relationships, cultures, human development, religion or spiritual practices.
- Turn off the news or social media and allow your own thoughts to unfold.
- Learn the source of your thoughts and beliefs and update as needed.
- Try something new to flex your mental muscles.
- Breathe in wide open spaces or practice breathwork anywhere.
- Discuss topics of interest to you with friends, family and acquaintances.
- Use your mind to sharpen the other 3 elements.
For grounding yourself or your environment, if they are overworked or ignored try . . .
- Do nothing. Allow yourself rest time and enough hours of sleep.
- Nourish yourself with healthy, energy providing foods and drinks.
- Design a plan or regime to enhance your physical wellness.
- Enjoy tactile art forms like pottery, sewing or carpentry.
- Try emotive dance like salsa or samba, or spiritual movement like forest bathing or mindful walking.
- Prevent and manage physical health conditions or illnesses.
- Enjoy a massage, adjustment, sauna or steam bath.
- Practice grounding by walking barefoot outside or lying on the earth.
- Play, fool around and have fun with others and the world.
- Use your body to strengthen the other 3 elements.
To keep your spirit or vision burning, if it’s blazing out of control or fizzling out, consider . . .
- Make time and space for your dreams and visions.
- Understand your intuition as a gift and learn to trust it.
- Study spiritual or religious texts or great dreamers or visionaries.
- See the big-picture of your emotional process, within your world, culture, family and yourself.
- Engage in passionate endeavours.
- Dance or drum to summon your inner inferno.
- Pray, meditate, worship or set intentions.
- Enjoy a sunrise, sunset, bonfire or candle light.
- Spend time with animals, children or elders.
- Use your spirituality to spark the other 3 elements.
So which of these 40 ideas called to you the most? Do that today! Then try any of the others as needed.
I’ll do the same!