How do you want to feel?
“Knowing how you actually want to feel is the most potent form of clarity you can have.”
Today is one of my favourite stops along the “Nurture Trail”. Throughout the month I’ve been sharing various ways to show yourself more love and today I have some thoughts for you on nurturing your feelings and emotions.
Maximizing my emotional wellness has been the most powerful skill I’ve learned to live my most healthy and fulfilling life. Since discovering these elusive life lessons, I’ve wanted everyone to know about the direct connection between our emotions and creating lives we love. In fact, that’s why I started my coaching business in the first place – to “share the love” so to speak.
Emotional empowerment allows you to release any lingering emotional baggage from your past, healthily process your feelings in the moment,choose your desired emotional experiences in your life and even leverage your emotions to create the life you most desire.
There’s so much to share about nurturing your feelings and emotions, but for today I’ll let you in on how I use my feelings to make the most of – and be more present in – my day.
This morning practice takes mere minutes, but will have a hugely positive impact on how you experience your entire day.
1) Take a few quiet moments in the morning to check in with yourself about your emotional needs. Even just closing your eyes, taking a few deep breaths and guiding your attention from your head down into your heart will do. Once you’re connected to your true inner self, ask yourself “How do I want to feel today?” and see what answers naturally arise.
If you need a little inspiration, check out this feelings list for ideas: abundance, adventure, appreciation, balance, bravery, calm, celebration, confidence, creativity, delight, devotion, ease, encouragement, energized, feminine, focused, free, glad, grace, grateful, healthy, held, important, interested, joyous, limitless, love, magic, momentum, nourished, open, passionate, peaceful, playful, powerful, quiet, refreshed, secure, seen, sensuous, spontaneous, thrilled, treasured, unique, vivacious, vital, warm, whole, wondrous.
2) Write down your top 3 words. Keep them top of mind through your day, perhaps by writing them on sticky notes and posting them where you’ll see them or by noting them in your daily agenda.
3) When faced with a decision about how to spend your day, check in with your 3 words and use them as a filter to guide your choices. Whenever possible, choose actions that align with your words. When that’s not fully possible, at least incorporate some element of your desired feelings to make the experience more of a win-win situation. If you’re a scheduler, take some time to adjust your to-dos of the day to reflect your desired feelings and also to schedule in some self-care time specifically devoted to nurturing your desired feelings.
For example, today I wish to feel: comfortable, content and accomplished. Informally, I’ll check in with myself throughout the day to see if I’m feeling those things and will adapt my environment, activities or mindset to better experience those feelings. More formally, I’ll plan my day’s schedule so that my work, home and self-care activities allow for these feelings.
So, how do you want to feel today?
Any time you haven’t identified your desired feelings, or don’t really know how you want to feel, you can use “Love” as your desired emotion. When deciding how to be or what to do in a day, ask yourself “What would Love have me do?” This may be my most favourite question (if having a favourite question was a thing :). This prompt ensures you’re prioritizing love for yourself and others. You also may discover that the most loving thing is often not the easiest thing to do, but is the “right” thing.
Using this practice day after day will ensure you’re designing (and living) a life aligned with what feels the best – and matters most – to you.
This is what I would “Love” for you.
P.S. I’m fascinated with using essential oils as a natural tool for enhancing emotional wellness. Thus, I’M EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE my new newsletter “Natural Essentials”, where you will receive bi-monthly emails on:
- Simple and practical tips to enhance your family’s wellness;
- Features on oils to learn their physical and emotional benefits;
- Do-It-Yourself ideas to make the most of oils;
- Q & As for your continuing education at a gentle pace;
- Updates on special offers and promotions; and of course
- Opportunities to purchase oils if you desire.