Where do you feel most at home?
“Sustainable happiness is . . . found in our relationship to place.” Richard Louv
Where do you feel most at home?
On this lifelong adventure of being happy and whole, knowing this about yourself is gold.
There are many ways to know you’re on the right track to being your truest self on the inside and out. Today I have 3 fun questions you can ask to more fully be yourself and enjoy your life.
1) Where do you feel the most like yourself, at peace and alive – the most at home?
This is on my mind as I’m currently at the place where I feel most at home – my family’s summer camp (or cottage or cabin if you prefer :).
Built on a beautiful lake by my grandparents in simpler times, when resources were treasured, craftsmanship was beautiful and the good times were oh so good, I’ve been blessed to spend summers here my entire life.
Camp’s a part of me. I’m part of camp.
This is where I feel most at home. What about you? Even if it’s a specific patch of earth where you spent only moments, remember yourself in that place where you felt most like you.
2) As you picture yourself in that place, what adjectives describe how you feel there?
I think about this all the time as I know there’s wisdom in our feelings. When I think about how I feel at camp, it’s no surprise to me that the words that come to mind very accurately describe my own personal values . . .
- Connected – The loving and joyous times come to mind – with family and friends, young and old, today and yesterday
- Simple – Camp life is easy life, it’s minimalist and routine in the best way which makes everything more simple and fun
- Free – Living in the moment with barely a care in the world, spacious and away from life’s stressors
- Natural – From morning through night, in all weather and elements, barefoot if I please, appreciating the wonder everywhere and feeling like a part of it all
- True – This is me and this is where I feel most like me.
What words arise when you consider how you feel and why you feel that way in your “home”?
3) How does this awareness help you?
The place you feel most at home is a ‘sacred space’ of sorts. In some cases, you may be able to return to this place that feels like home to feel whole, centred and true. More practically, you can recreate elements of this place in your everyday life.
I use this insight about myself to guide my actions whenever possible. When it comes to my self-care, my personal life or my business, I use these words as a compass to make decisions and to guide my next steps.
How can I make this more connected, simple, free, natural or true?
For instance, when it’s time to take good care of me, I may ask myself what I can do to increase my experience of just one of my above 5 words. Maybe I need to meet up with a friend to meet my need for connection, or perhaps I can go for a walk to connect to nature.
I do the same for my personal and professional life – how can I make housework more simple? How can I share more of my truth in these business emails? The more I align with my values, the more in flow and enjoyable life seems to be.
I also use these words when facing decisions. To help me choose, I consider which option would bring me the most connection, simplicity, freedom, nature and truth.
Now it’s your turn. Considering the feelings you’ve noted for yourself, choose one and decide what you can do today to invite a little more of that into your life?
There’s no place like “home”,
P.S. Want to receive more messages like this, straight to your inbox? Simply subscribe to my freebie here and you’ll also receive weekly empowering notes from me!